Thursday, March 10, 2016

Walking In Our Forgiveness

Let’s talk about being chronically miserable because of the sinful/dumb/foolish things we did in the past. 

Let’s talk about that inner voice that says, “You can’t worship, pray, serve, because of that thing or those things.”  Or, “You shouldn’t even mix with those other, ‘decent’ people.”   

You hear those voices and sharp-edged feelings of guilt and shame explode inside you.  

I suspect that all of us have some experience with guilt and shame.   We’ve all behaved in ways that fell short of what God intended and short of what others expected and needed.   For some, the past may seem littered with a thousand small instances of failure.  The memory of those multiple mistakes is ever present, stealing the joy from today.   For others, the present is haunted by that one big failure in the past that still clouds every day. 

On the one hand, those of us who are believers would affirm our belief that when Jesus died on the cross, it was for our sins.  We believe what we sing... “Jesus Paid It All.”   But the truth is we don’t always feel it.   We aren’t walking in the forgiveness that was granted us when we put our faith in Jesus.

So we carry extra baggage with us through each day.   Guilt.  Shame.  Fear.  Sadness.  Emptiness.  Hopelessness.  Like a low grade fever these drag us down.
   
Events....trigger memories that trigger shame.  Opportunities....excite you but then you remember... ”Oh wait, I’m not fit.  I’m not worthy.   I can’t serve.  I can’t attend.  I can’t pray.  I can’t speak up.  Who am I to get involved?”
  
We aren’t walking in our forgiveness.   

Walking in your forgiveness means that each day you actively remember what the Bible says about the sins of your past.   

Proverbs 28:13 “Whoever conceals their sins does not prosper, but the one who confesses and renounces them finds mercy."

All of Psalm 32, but especially verse 5, “Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity.    I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord.”  And you forgave the guilt of my sin.”

All of Psalm 103, and best of all verses 11-12, “For as high as the heavens are above the earth,  so great is his love for those who fear him;  as far as the east is from the west,  so far has he removed our transgressions from us."

I John 1:9 “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.”

How will you greet the new day with joy again?   By walking in your forgiveness
How will you be real again?  By believing what God says about your sin
How will you serve again?   By fully owning the fresh start God gives to those who confess. 
How will you worship and pray again?  By knowing you stand fully accepted before God because Jesus took your sin with him to the cross. 

You have to walk in your forgiveness. 

Shut down the relentless attack by your memories.  
Healing of the memories comes as you stand up to that part of your mind that puts the record of your past sin on "repeat" so that it plays over and over. 
Sternly, firmly tell that accusing memory to be silent.
Subdue the voice that whispers ''condemned."

It speaks lies.

When those thoughts say, “You are worthless and unacceptable,” you can forcefully respond with the truth:  “That’s not what the Word says.  The Word says I’m a cherished, beloved child of my heavenly Father."

Live in  joy.   Approach God in prayer.  Say yes to the chance to serve.  Take your place among the believers for worship.   Pull up a chair and take part in fellowship with the rest of the forgiven sinners.

Walk in your forgiveness. 

1 comment:

  1. A men my brother. Walking in the gospel is freedom from sin and to righteousness. Thanks for the reminders.

    ReplyDelete